Better Essays uses a formula of seven steps. These seven steps are based on what we have observed successful essay writers do.
- Successful essay writers begin Step One by carefully analysing the essay brief or question to make sure that they are clear about what is required.
- Step Two is that they develop a thesis statement, which is a sentence that concisely expresses the essay’s big idea or focus.
- With this thesis statement in mind, they read and make notes Step Three.
- Step Four, they organise and select from their notes to develop the points they will use to support the thesis statement.
- Step Five, they turn these notes and points into paragraphs, the body paragraphs (not the introduction nor the conclusion yet), to support the thesis statement.
- Step Six, they write the introductory paragraph and the concluding paragraph. These form a frame around the body consisting of the middle paragraphs of the essay.
- And last but not least Step Seven, they edit and proof-read the draft before they submit it.
These are the seven steps that successful essay writers follow.
By following these seven steps, you’ll be well on the way to writing your own successful essays.
Previous Page Next Page