In this section, we will look at the following topics:
- Order of Operations – use the rules of precedence to solve problems involving multiple operations and positive numbers; add, subtract, multiply and divide expressions with negative numbers; and, use the rules of precedence to solve problems involving multiple operations and negative numbers.
- Decimal Numbers – identify and interpret decimal numbers; round decimal numbers to a specified accuracy; truncate decimal numbers to a specified number of digits; and, convert decimal measures of time to whole number measures in different forms (i.e. years to years and months).
- Fractions – identify and distinguish between proper and improper fractions; multiply whole numbers by fractions; and, add fractions with like denominators.
- Percentages – calculate percentages of given quantities; calculate the result of a percentage increases or decrease; determine how much has been added or subtracted after a percentage increase or decrease; express quantities as percentages of other quantities; determine the percentage increase or decrease between two values; convert between percentages and decimal numbers; and, convert between percentages and fractions or mixed numbers.
- Exponents – evaluate exponents and write repeated multiplication using exponents; and, apply the ten exponent laws to rearrange and simplify exponents.
- Logarithms – convert between exponents and logarithms; evaluate logarithms manually; evaluate logarithms with base 10 or base e on a scientific calculator; and, apply five logarithm laws to rearrange and simplify logarithms.