Practise your paraphrasing technique with this exercise.
- Choose a passage (about a page length) from a textbook or journal on a topic relevant to your studies.
- Read the passage, and write down just three key words.
- Close the textbook or journal, and put it aside.
- Now write a short account of what you read, using the key words as a guide.
- Go back to the book or journal and check what you have written compared to the original.
- This is the process you should use whenever you paraphrase. You can go back to the original to check on precise details, but it's your understanding of the original author's words that you need to communicate, not the actual words themselves.